It's Delle!

Someone on the WW boards mentioned they read my blog (news to me, I didn't think anybody stopped by here aside from my best friend!), so I thought I should put a little blurb about me. I made this journal so I can keep track of the things I'm doing and how I'm thinking and feeling as I journey along the road to getting thinner. It's not intended to be written to an audience, it is honestly something I am writing to myself, and I find it so helpful to be able to look back even 4 months ago and see what kinds of things I was experiencing...so many of our experiences in life slip through the cracks, and I want to remember as many of them as I can in relation to my weight loss; the good, the bad, and even the oh so ugly ones!

So many people say they've struggled with their weight for years, but this is not tue for me. I've been overweight from my earliest memories, and morbidly obese all of my adult life, but I was not the type to yo-yo diet, so in that sense I was not struggling. I don't know what my highest weight was because I didn't have a scale to weigh myself when I started getting set to lose weight. In the year before I started WW I started trying to eat less junk food and to get a little activity into my routine. When I started WW I was 288 lbs and wearing a size 22, and I know the year before I was wearing a size 26 (which was tight on me), so I'm guessing I was easily in the low 300 lb-range at my highest weight.

For the first year of my weight loss journey I was incredibly focussed and motivated. I was keeping my weight loss a secret from my family back home in Newfoundland, and my goal was to surprise them on my trip home in July. Needless to say it was quite a shock to a lot of people when I showed up over 100 lbs lighter without any warning!

Right now I am getting back on track after my trip back home. I wasn't following WW for a while due to comp issues, not to mention life issues, and I've gained back some of the weight I had lost. I got away from journalling, but I'm back at it again and am using it to help me get my focus back. I also like using it to keep track of my activity, although I've not had an organised execise regime for a few months now due to an injury. I'm getting back into my activity, however, and I will be updating all my numbers soon.

As I said, I don't write in this blog with an audience in mind, but if anyone had any questions or comments on anything here, please don't hesitate to post!

BTW, the name of my blog came from a comment my supervisor at work made one day when I was in the middle of a full-blown rant about something I had to do that was infuriating me. He interrupted me and said something to the tune of, "Don't worry about it you don't have to do it. And my goodness look at you! Where are you going, everytime I see you, you're smaller! It's crazy, you're the incredible shrinking woman!!" The moment was funny and unexpected and seemed to sum up my life right now, so I came home and re-titled my blog.

Now all I need is a cape...

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

For a memory of one kind word

1 week, 4 days till Nightwish!
-OP: yes
-activity: yes

I didn't do my workout today, although I had planned to, but it is okay because I can do it tomorrow instead. Since I'm not working on Friday, I wouldn't be able to do it Friday anyway, I'll have to fit it in Saturday between the morning staff meeting and my evening shift. I'm not beating myself up over not getting in three workouts this week, but I'm still not happy about it either. I've been feeling such an intense sense of urgency lately, I feel like I'm running out of time. I know it's not a race and I've said that often, but suddenly it feels like one. I know this is all tied up with me going home this summer, it looks like I'll be going sometime in July. With May coming on, July suddenly seems to be breathing down my neck. I know I wouldn't be feeling like this if I weren't going home, but I still don't want to start feeling anxious about this. It's just so important to me to get to where I want to be for when I go home. I still have lots to go and I see things slowing down so much that I'm worried I'm not going to be any farther along than I am now. Before when I was losing so consistently it never bothered me because I had faith that by that time I would be at goal, but now things are different. I'll just have to treat it like the Nightwish concert, and concentrate on being OP and getting my activity instead. I imagine by the time the concert happens I could very well know when I'm going home exactly, and I think I will just start another countdown. It will be much better for me to keep focussing on my behaviours and not the scale so much. Nonetheless I have been wondering whether I'm actually at a plateau, and whether I should try something different. A switch to Core might be called for, or perhaps the Wendie plan to mix things up. I'm not sure what I'm at now, I've not weighed since my last WI, on account of late meals and early breakfasts and how those throw off the number anyway. I've just not been in the mood to see the scale up like it's been. I'll be interested in seeing what the scale says this week, I only know that I feel like my clothes are looser this week in particular, and that I'm consistently hungry like I normally never am. I'm trying to listen to my body and give it what it needs; this afternoon I ended up taking a nap instead of exercising, because I was tired. I honestly have no idea what to expect at WI. Last week I showed a gain, but it was also the Week of Big Gain so I was not surprised. When I look at the graph of my WIs, the Week of Big Gain makes the line loop upwards a little, so that the weeks in between look to hang between them...looks rather like a necklace. I hope I don't have trouble getting to sleep tonight after that long nap this afternoon. I did wake up from it and go for a nice river walk tho. I met the nicest gentleman, I passed him walking west very near where I usually turn around and start heading back that way. He was older, and I figured I would be lapping him soon enough, but instead I trailed behind him most of the way back to the bridge. That rarely happens to me, and I was amused and impressed enough that when I finally came abreast of him and he looked over and greeted me I had to tell him that he had led me on a merry chase, and that I'd been trying forever to catch up to him. He laughed and said he bet I don't get many people passing me. We walked together till he came to his turn around, and had a lovely chat. Turns out he has a daughter with my name. I do hope I see him walking again, it's nice to meet a kindred spirit.

Earned 5 APs today: 80 min brisk walking

1 comment:

Holly said...

Hey! thanks for posting on my blog! For what it's worth, I think you very well may be right about my lack of motivation and overall blah-ness being brought on by hormones. It's just never quite been this bad before. In any case, I am learning that, like you also mentioned, listening to my body and having a rest day or allowing yourself to take a nice nap is just as important as staying OP with the eating. Anyways, thanks for coming to my blog.. I'll hope you'll be back :)