It's Delle!

Someone on the WW boards mentioned they read my blog (news to me, I didn't think anybody stopped by here aside from my best friend!), so I thought I should put a little blurb about me. I made this journal so I can keep track of the things I'm doing and how I'm thinking and feeling as I journey along the road to getting thinner. It's not intended to be written to an audience, it is honestly something I am writing to myself, and I find it so helpful to be able to look back even 4 months ago and see what kinds of things I was experiencing...so many of our experiences in life slip through the cracks, and I want to remember as many of them as I can in relation to my weight loss; the good, the bad, and even the oh so ugly ones!

So many people say they've struggled with their weight for years, but this is not tue for me. I've been overweight from my earliest memories, and morbidly obese all of my adult life, but I was not the type to yo-yo diet, so in that sense I was not struggling. I don't know what my highest weight was because I didn't have a scale to weigh myself when I started getting set to lose weight. In the year before I started WW I started trying to eat less junk food and to get a little activity into my routine. When I started WW I was 288 lbs and wearing a size 22, and I know the year before I was wearing a size 26 (which was tight on me), so I'm guessing I was easily in the low 300 lb-range at my highest weight.

For the first year of my weight loss journey I was incredibly focussed and motivated. I was keeping my weight loss a secret from my family back home in Newfoundland, and my goal was to surprise them on my trip home in July. Needless to say it was quite a shock to a lot of people when I showed up over 100 lbs lighter without any warning!

Right now I am getting back on track after my trip back home. I wasn't following WW for a while due to comp issues, not to mention life issues, and I've gained back some of the weight I had lost. I got away from journalling, but I'm back at it again and am using it to help me get my focus back. I also like using it to keep track of my activity, although I've not had an organised execise regime for a few months now due to an injury. I'm getting back into my activity, however, and I will be updating all my numbers soon.

As I said, I don't write in this blog with an audience in mind, but if anyone had any questions or comments on anything here, please don't hesitate to post!

BTW, the name of my blog came from a comment my supervisor at work made one day when I was in the middle of a full-blown rant about something I had to do that was infuriating me. He interrupted me and said something to the tune of, "Don't worry about it you don't have to do it. And my goodness look at you! Where are you going, everytime I see you, you're smaller! It's crazy, you're the incredible shrinking woman!!" The moment was funny and unexpected and seemed to sum up my life right now, so I came home and re-titled my blog.

Now all I need is a cape...

Friday, April 4, 2008

And then it was Friday

I ended up having company yesterday evening and didn't get to post. Yesterday was a wonderfully productive day, I'm so happy with yesterday. I woke up pretty early and had a good breakfast. I cleaned out the cupboards and the fridge (as I'd wanted to do last Tuesday but had to work instead). I cleaned a bunch of crap off my comp, backed up files, and set it to defrag. I then took out all the trash and went for a lovely brisk river walk. On the way home I stopped for bus tickets then went to the dollar store and parted with some of my very meager funds to buy a set of plastic containers for the kitchen. I came home and cleaned all the dishes and things that had been in the cupboards that were dusty from beeing idle for a long time, then I reorganised and put some of my containers to use holding things I use often and put away things I don't use often to make room for the things I do. I tackled the bathroom next, and discovered the new cleaner I bought this time around will actually take off the unsightly water stains in my sink, and while it's not 100% yet, it is loads better than it had been. Now if only I could find something to take the stains out of the toilet. Then I tidied the rest of the flat and had supper before my friend came over. By the time I was alone again I was tired and didn't want to go online so I went right to bed, because I wanted to get my exercise in before work today. The problem was that I woke up in time, but was very tired from not getting enough sleep, and sore from yesterday. I guess I'm not used to long walks anymore because my hips ache today and walking is painful. My body felt heavy and awkward, and even tho I had the best of intentions and got up and made breakfast and ate it, I still ended up not exercising. I was moving so slowly that it would have put me to the wire to try and get the activity in before work, and I didn't feel up to any of it. Instead I ended up taking a short nap before work and felt much the better for it. I'm glad I did, because work ended up being hectic and tiring. There was a disgustingly amusing moment when I noticed a bunch of insects crawling around on the floor in the lunch room and I was pretty pissed off and pointed it out to my boss and in an attempt to make the situation seem less drastic he summarised the situation as involving a 'social gathering of ants' and the silliness of it tickled me and I had a good long belly laugh over it. Then we stood there for 5 min observing the social gathering and commenting on their behaviours. There was cake for a coworker who got promoted, and as soon as I got to work and walked in the lunch room to my locker I was painfully aware of it. I could smell it before I even saw it, I could smell the sugar and the syrupy strawberries that were on it. I wanted that cake as much as I've wanted anything, and I was tempted to just get some icing on a fingertip, but I decided not to and managed to avoid it, tho it was really hard. Sweet stuff like that is such a temptation for me, I'm rarely around it but when I am it smells so good and I want it. The thing is I want to lose weight more than I want sweet stuff, and I don't feel it is worth all the points I would lose to just a small piece, so I resist. But I do remember cake, although the memory is probably getting a little fuzzy around the edges. I just celebrated my 9-month anniversary of being on WW, and I'm starting to have trouble remembering life before it. The other day on my way to work I was trying to remember whether I would eat a meal before going to work if I left before noon, and for the life of me I couldn't remember whether I consistently did, and if so, what I would eat. I never was a breakfast eater, but I must have had something before working a shift without breaks. I can't remember what it used to be, tho. I can name some things I suppose I ate, but I actually had a lot of trouble trying to figure it out. There's been a few times this week that I felt so utterly surreal, but I think that in the beginning everything was surreal, but now it is the occassional flashbacks to before that are the surreal parts, because my new lifestyle has become much more solid and routine and natural to me now. That's pretty damn awesome.

Earned 6 APs yesterday: 85 min brisk walking

No comments: