It's Delle!

Someone on the WW boards mentioned they read my blog (news to me, I didn't think anybody stopped by here aside from my best friend!), so I thought I should put a little blurb about me. I made this journal so I can keep track of the things I'm doing and how I'm thinking and feeling as I journey along the road to getting thinner. It's not intended to be written to an audience, it is honestly something I am writing to myself, and I find it so helpful to be able to look back even 4 months ago and see what kinds of things I was experiencing...so many of our experiences in life slip through the cracks, and I want to remember as many of them as I can in relation to my weight loss; the good, the bad, and even the oh so ugly ones!

So many people say they've struggled with their weight for years, but this is not tue for me. I've been overweight from my earliest memories, and morbidly obese all of my adult life, but I was not the type to yo-yo diet, so in that sense I was not struggling. I don't know what my highest weight was because I didn't have a scale to weigh myself when I started getting set to lose weight. In the year before I started WW I started trying to eat less junk food and to get a little activity into my routine. When I started WW I was 288 lbs and wearing a size 22, and I know the year before I was wearing a size 26 (which was tight on me), so I'm guessing I was easily in the low 300 lb-range at my highest weight.

For the first year of my weight loss journey I was incredibly focussed and motivated. I was keeping my weight loss a secret from my family back home in Newfoundland, and my goal was to surprise them on my trip home in July. Needless to say it was quite a shock to a lot of people when I showed up over 100 lbs lighter without any warning!

Right now I am getting back on track after my trip back home. I wasn't following WW for a while due to comp issues, not to mention life issues, and I've gained back some of the weight I had lost. I got away from journalling, but I'm back at it again and am using it to help me get my focus back. I also like using it to keep track of my activity, although I've not had an organised execise regime for a few months now due to an injury. I'm getting back into my activity, however, and I will be updating all my numbers soon.

As I said, I don't write in this blog with an audience in mind, but if anyone had any questions or comments on anything here, please don't hesitate to post!

BTW, the name of my blog came from a comment my supervisor at work made one day when I was in the middle of a full-blown rant about something I had to do that was infuriating me. He interrupted me and said something to the tune of, "Don't worry about it you don't have to do it. And my goodness look at you! Where are you going, everytime I see you, you're smaller! It's crazy, you're the incredible shrinking woman!!" The moment was funny and unexpected and seemed to sum up my life right now, so I came home and re-titled my blog.

Now all I need is a cape...

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

In Thermometer We Trust

4 weeks, 1 day till Home!
-OP: yes
-activity: yes

I was in bed and looking forward to drifting into oblivion when I realised I had not posted. Today was extemely full and I was tired yet again, but it was a good day nonetheless. Today managed to be fun and interesting and strange and unique and I wouldn't have changed anything about it, oddness and all. I was up early (wanting/needing more sleep, but getting up when I awoke, I really want to stick to getting up earlier in the morning as opposed to later) and eating right away (go me!!). I went for a river walk, which was heavenly, and came back only to leave again to go to the grocery because I needed romaine for tonight's supper and eggs for tomorrow's breakfast. Somehow time got away from me and when I got back I had to rush to get my dinner made and ate and supper made to take with me to work. I hate being rushed when I eat my big meal (which was dinner today), I like to take my time and enjoy my food, and lately I've been having to eat WAY too fast in order to be ready on time. I need to pay more attention to my time management to allow myself the proper amount of time to get ready and eat sedately.

I got to work 40 min early because of the bus schedule and I got off a few stops early because I noticed there looked to be a grocery store near my work. I went in not knowing what to expect, and it turns out that it is indeed a grocery, and it seems to have all manner of things in it that I could need. I didn't have much time to spend there, and needed to get mushrooms and pasta sauce, which I couldn't get at the grocery near me, but I did hurry aroud to price a few of my staples. I was thrilled to see that apples are 50 cents cheaper a lb there, and spaghetti squash and mushrooms look to be cheaper too. The pasta cause was cheaper, and I think I'll find a few other things I need cheaper there as well. Peppers were the same price, and they don't carry my pitas, but you can't have everything in life. I'm thrilled with the store, and I want to start figuring out more specifically what foods are cheaper where, and start planning my shopping in more detail. For the days I have to wait for a bus, or finish early, I can plan to do my shopping after work, and just hop on the bus to go home, the bus stop is close to the store, will only take about 5 min top to get there, and I don't have to change buses to get home, so it will be fine to carry groceries back with me. I'm determined to become a smarter shopper!!

One noteworthy thing is that I popped into the washroom at the grocery and saw that TOM had showed up. I keep wanting to say "unexpectedly", because I was truly surprised, but the thing is I had no right to be. I've been ignoring the signs for days now; I've been moody and my lower back has been hurting, but I felt time-wise I needed another week yet, no matter what my body was telling me. I've been taking my temp every morning to chat my cycle, and this morning it dropped a few tenths of a degree, and when I saw the number I instinctively thought, "Oh, my period will start today", but then I dismissed that, thinking it is too soon yet, and that it must be an anonomly. Turns out I should be reading my body like I always did before, and I should be trusting the thermometer, since this is the whole reason I'm doing the temp thing to begin with. Thank god I had my bag with me so I had what i needed, but it could have been a messy (and less fun) day if I hadn't!

Work was actually a lot of fun, customers were friendly and happy and I had a great time, and even saw my sweetie who comes in every Tuesday to see the new releases but I normally don't work Tuesdays so I don't get to see him that often. He mentioned that I look to have lost a lot of weight, and said I look fantastic. I wish I could steal him and take him home with me, he's a real teddy bear. I also had an interesting chat with a customer on the phone, feeling guilty the whole time because it ended up feeling like a personal call instead of work. They were taking the bunches of helium balloons off the floor from our grand opening, which I have been eying for days now. I've wanted to steal the whole bunch to take home with me. Of course that would mean that there would be no room for anything in the flat except balloons, but hell, sleeping on the balcony would be worth all the balloony-goodness! As it is I did steal one bunch to take home (I was getting a ride with a coworker). Actually, the manager told me I could take as many as I want, and told me of course my coworker wouldn't mind me filling his car with balloons. Turns out he didn't, and getting them into his 2-door car in the rain was riotously hilarious. It was all we could do to get the seats to tilt back for us to sit in them, and he looked at me and grinned and said, "we'll probably get pulled over by the cops!" and I laughed more thinking it looked like there were about 12 people in the backseat. We got home without trouble (there was a frog-related incident when I was getting dropped off tho) and now the balloons are here with me making me smile every time I look at them. Seriously, helium balloons turn me into a 3-year-old again, I have to glomp on them every time I pass by. I named my last helium balloon I had a few years ago, but since I have 22 now, I probably won't attempt to name them. Probably.

Earned 6 APs today: 100 min brisk walking

No comments: