It's Delle!

Someone on the WW boards mentioned they read my blog (news to me, I didn't think anybody stopped by here aside from my best friend!), so I thought I should put a little blurb about me. I made this journal so I can keep track of the things I'm doing and how I'm thinking and feeling as I journey along the road to getting thinner. It's not intended to be written to an audience, it is honestly something I am writing to myself, and I find it so helpful to be able to look back even 4 months ago and see what kinds of things I was experiencing...so many of our experiences in life slip through the cracks, and I want to remember as many of them as I can in relation to my weight loss; the good, the bad, and even the oh so ugly ones!

So many people say they've struggled with their weight for years, but this is not tue for me. I've been overweight from my earliest memories, and morbidly obese all of my adult life, but I was not the type to yo-yo diet, so in that sense I was not struggling. I don't know what my highest weight was because I didn't have a scale to weigh myself when I started getting set to lose weight. In the year before I started WW I started trying to eat less junk food and to get a little activity into my routine. When I started WW I was 288 lbs and wearing a size 22, and I know the year before I was wearing a size 26 (which was tight on me), so I'm guessing I was easily in the low 300 lb-range at my highest weight.

For the first year of my weight loss journey I was incredibly focussed and motivated. I was keeping my weight loss a secret from my family back home in Newfoundland, and my goal was to surprise them on my trip home in July. Needless to say it was quite a shock to a lot of people when I showed up over 100 lbs lighter without any warning!

Right now I am getting back on track after my trip back home. I wasn't following WW for a while due to comp issues, not to mention life issues, and I've gained back some of the weight I had lost. I got away from journalling, but I'm back at it again and am using it to help me get my focus back. I also like using it to keep track of my activity, although I've not had an organised execise regime for a few months now due to an injury. I'm getting back into my activity, however, and I will be updating all my numbers soon.

As I said, I don't write in this blog with an audience in mind, but if anyone had any questions or comments on anything here, please don't hesitate to post!

BTW, the name of my blog came from a comment my supervisor at work made one day when I was in the middle of a full-blown rant about something I had to do that was infuriating me. He interrupted me and said something to the tune of, "Don't worry about it you don't have to do it. And my goodness look at you! Where are you going, everytime I see you, you're smaller! It's crazy, you're the incredible shrinking woman!!" The moment was funny and unexpected and seemed to sum up my life right now, so I came home and re-titled my blog.

Now all I need is a cape...

Monday, June 9, 2008

If you start now

3 weeks, 2 days till Home!
-OP: yes
-activity: yes

It is destined that if I plan my day around one detail, the detail must change so that my whole day can then be royally pooched.

I planned today around getting home from work around 3:45. I had a short shift and wouldn't get a half hour break, only 15, and I decided to just bring carrots and an apple with me and that that would hold me over till I got home. I was going to eat the rest of my dinner then go for a river walk. I was too pressed for time yesterday evening to have made a meal to bring with me, and I would be so rushed this morning to make something that I decided to eat when I got home. So of course my coworker calls in and they can't get anyone to cover, and I'm by myself most of all morning and part of the afternoon. Since they didn't have anyone to cover there were hours available so I ended up working until 6pm. By 4:30 I was really starting to feel fatigued, and while part of it was from working a long shift and not having got enough sleep last night, I can see how much, if not all, of it was caused by not having a proper meal at midday. Carrots and an apple are simply not enough to carry me through till suppertime when I'm working. I've been tired on long shifts before, but not like today, I felt headachy and kept losing my energy as time went on and was having a hard time concentrating. It was a crappy shift from that perspective, but it was validating in a sense, because it reinforces for me the fact that the way I choose to eat really can affect my well-being and my ability to perform. I never really believed I could control how I felt physically before, and to learn that I really do contribute to how I feel from day to day is rather splendid, really.

Either way I didn't get the river walk in after I got home. I was tired and hungry, and settled for walking up the street to get milk and green peppers. It would have been nice to get the walk in, but it would have finished me to try to exert that muh energy not having eaten properly today. I did take a few minutes out to try on a couple of pairs of pants I'd been hoarding since late last fall, and they fit me now. One pair is actually a nice dressy pair of black pants, and I'm thinking I might wear them to F's convocation on Wednesday, if I can find a top in my closet to go with it. I'm still squeeing over the time I spent yesterday trying stuff on, and my discovery regarding my Goal Shirt. I'd not planned to be trying on clothes, but when I was sorting stuff for laundry yesterday I just took the notion and went ahead and did it. That's one of the things I love best about my Sundays; I'm not so strict about work before play, as long as the things that HAVE to get done are done, I let myself pick and choose over the things I could do but don't have to. I really hope I can wear my Goal Shirt when I go home next month, I can't believe how soon it will be that I will be going!! Mum told me last night when she called that Dad is not well, and I'm even more anxious than ever to go home and see my family. Again and again today I have thought about how very grateful I am that I chose to make this lifestyle change a year ago, because it means that I am where I am now, and that when I see my family I will have this wonderful surprise for them. I keep thinking about a fortune cookie saying that D got and had posted in the dept in the old store..."Think what you could accomplish if you start now", because it is soo true. Time slips by so quickly, the days rush past and then the months, and we could get so far if we just made the most of each day and didn't put our goals off. Weight loss takes time, and when I started I knew it would take a year at least to get to where I wanted, and because I made that choice to start, one year ago, I am now approaching my goal. We could be so far ahead if only we start when we realise what we want. I am so happy to be able to make this trip home having made this journey this past year.

Earned 1 AP today: 20 min brisk walking

No comments: