It's Delle!

Someone on the WW boards mentioned they read my blog (news to me, I didn't think anybody stopped by here aside from my best friend!), so I thought I should put a little blurb about me. I made this journal so I can keep track of the things I'm doing and how I'm thinking and feeling as I journey along the road to getting thinner. It's not intended to be written to an audience, it is honestly something I am writing to myself, and I find it so helpful to be able to look back even 4 months ago and see what kinds of things I was experiencing...so many of our experiences in life slip through the cracks, and I want to remember as many of them as I can in relation to my weight loss; the good, the bad, and even the oh so ugly ones!

So many people say they've struggled with their weight for years, but this is not tue for me. I've been overweight from my earliest memories, and morbidly obese all of my adult life, but I was not the type to yo-yo diet, so in that sense I was not struggling. I don't know what my highest weight was because I didn't have a scale to weigh myself when I started getting set to lose weight. In the year before I started WW I started trying to eat less junk food and to get a little activity into my routine. When I started WW I was 288 lbs and wearing a size 22, and I know the year before I was wearing a size 26 (which was tight on me), so I'm guessing I was easily in the low 300 lb-range at my highest weight.

For the first year of my weight loss journey I was incredibly focussed and motivated. I was keeping my weight loss a secret from my family back home in Newfoundland, and my goal was to surprise them on my trip home in July. Needless to say it was quite a shock to a lot of people when I showed up over 100 lbs lighter without any warning!

Right now I am getting back on track after my trip back home. I wasn't following WW for a while due to comp issues, not to mention life issues, and I've gained back some of the weight I had lost. I got away from journalling, but I'm back at it again and am using it to help me get my focus back. I also like using it to keep track of my activity, although I've not had an organised execise regime for a few months now due to an injury. I'm getting back into my activity, however, and I will be updating all my numbers soon.

As I said, I don't write in this blog with an audience in mind, but if anyone had any questions or comments on anything here, please don't hesitate to post!

BTW, the name of my blog came from a comment my supervisor at work made one day when I was in the middle of a full-blown rant about something I had to do that was infuriating me. He interrupted me and said something to the tune of, "Don't worry about it you don't have to do it. And my goodness look at you! Where are you going, everytime I see you, you're smaller! It's crazy, you're the incredible shrinking woman!!" The moment was funny and unexpected and seemed to sum up my life right now, so I came home and re-titled my blog.

Now all I need is a cape...

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Year's Long Night

Last night was the year's longest night, and yet another winter solstice has come and gone. Normally I celebrate the night in some way, usually in a private, reflective manner. Last night however I had to go to bed early on account of having to work this morning, and I never got to stay up and enjoy it properly. Instead I had to wait until tonight for the time to relax and reflect, and I ended up not getting any activity in. I guess tis the time of year for schedules to be messed up and routines to be thrown off. This week will also be difficult, with extra hours at work and longer commute times due to holiday bus schedules and heavy traffic. Next thing we know it will be January and we'll be wondering where the hell the time went, with another New Year upon us.

Work was fine this morning, it was less busy early on than I had expected, but it was steady enough, and the time went very quickly. When I was getting ready to leave, things started getting really crazy, and there were so many people about, it was hard to maneuver around the dept. I wasn't tempted to ask for extra hours, and instead left as soon as my shift was over. I was looking forward to getting home where it was quiet. There was still a bunch of chocolate about at work, and at one point when I was looking for something in the drawer, I thought, "If there is an open package in there, I'm having some of it and I don't care!" and there was in fact an open package and I looked at it, but I closed the drawer without having any. I told myself that if I want chocolate so badly, I can make some pudding for dessert after supper, which tastes chocolately, and is very points friendly. I could have had a salad with supper, but I was frankly too lazy to go about making one, and I preferred to eat less food than go through any trouble. After a long day I sometimes just want less fuss more than I want more food. I did eat all my DPs tho, which isn't hard lately. I have noticed the past couple weeks that I have to eat less food than I find I want, just eating within my DPs. Missing out on my normal amount of activity means missing out on eating a lot of APs. I never really thought about it before today, but I've been getting on average 50 more points a week to eat. No wonder not having it has made such a difference...50 points can amount to a lot of food! Maybe that's why I've been having good losses the past two weeks, despite not getting much activity in. Either way, I intend to keep up with the activity and to eat those points when I feel the need, because I do feel lately like I am getting less to eat than I want. Maybe that's why the chocolate has been so tempting. But then that could just as easily be hormones. Or the fact that I love chocolate. Whatever, all I care about is that I have been eating within my DPs and the world has not ended, despite feeling hungry sometimes and being tempted to eat more. I'm learning that I can deal with such things just fine, and that is valuable.

No comments: