It's Delle!

Someone on the WW boards mentioned they read my blog (news to me, I didn't think anybody stopped by here aside from my best friend!), so I thought I should put a little blurb about me. I made this journal so I can keep track of the things I'm doing and how I'm thinking and feeling as I journey along the road to getting thinner. It's not intended to be written to an audience, it is honestly something I am writing to myself, and I find it so helpful to be able to look back even 4 months ago and see what kinds of things I was experiencing...so many of our experiences in life slip through the cracks, and I want to remember as many of them as I can in relation to my weight loss; the good, the bad, and even the oh so ugly ones!

So many people say they've struggled with their weight for years, but this is not tue for me. I've been overweight from my earliest memories, and morbidly obese all of my adult life, but I was not the type to yo-yo diet, so in that sense I was not struggling. I don't know what my highest weight was because I didn't have a scale to weigh myself when I started getting set to lose weight. In the year before I started WW I started trying to eat less junk food and to get a little activity into my routine. When I started WW I was 288 lbs and wearing a size 22, and I know the year before I was wearing a size 26 (which was tight on me), so I'm guessing I was easily in the low 300 lb-range at my highest weight.

For the first year of my weight loss journey I was incredibly focussed and motivated. I was keeping my weight loss a secret from my family back home in Newfoundland, and my goal was to surprise them on my trip home in July. Needless to say it was quite a shock to a lot of people when I showed up over 100 lbs lighter without any warning!

Right now I am getting back on track after my trip back home. I wasn't following WW for a while due to comp issues, not to mention life issues, and I've gained back some of the weight I had lost. I got away from journalling, but I'm back at it again and am using it to help me get my focus back. I also like using it to keep track of my activity, although I've not had an organised execise regime for a few months now due to an injury. I'm getting back into my activity, however, and I will be updating all my numbers soon.

As I said, I don't write in this blog with an audience in mind, but if anyone had any questions or comments on anything here, please don't hesitate to post!

BTW, the name of my blog came from a comment my supervisor at work made one day when I was in the middle of a full-blown rant about something I had to do that was infuriating me. He interrupted me and said something to the tune of, "Don't worry about it you don't have to do it. And my goodness look at you! Where are you going, everytime I see you, you're smaller! It's crazy, you're the incredible shrinking woman!!" The moment was funny and unexpected and seemed to sum up my life right now, so I came home and re-titled my blog.

Now all I need is a cape...

Monday, December 3, 2007

Chilly brr!

I had the heat on in the flat when I was at work because I knew by the time I got home tonight I would welcome some warmth, between waiting and walking to and from three bus stops between work and home. Strangely enough you wouldn't think it was even working, as drafty as it is in here. It is so strange to be cold like this, I never used to be, before. I guess it is something I will have to get used to. I wonder what it is about losing weight that makes a person cold all the time? I heard women say on the WW boards that they are suddenly cold all the time after never being cold ever, after only losing 30-odd pounds. The thing that really confuses me that these women might still be near or over 300 lbs, so that throws out my idea that you start to feel the cold more when you start getting down in the lower 200s. Oh well, I guess it is a mystery. Perhaps I should Google it sometime. After I put on long underwear. I mean, seriously! This is so bizarre!

So finally I will recound my Friday night, such as it was, for the history books. CM had sent a mass email on Thursday telling us that her birthday would be on Friday, and that it was short notice, but why don't we all go out and party. The plan was to start at the DH at about 7pm, and to possibly eat, and to go on from there. I was happy to celebrate birthday, but not too keen on eating pub food, or spending a bunch of money I didn't have, so I decided I would join them for a while, but not spend the whole night pub crawling. Since I was working till 6:30, I felt this made it easy to make my excuses, since I would be going there straight from work and would be in my uniform and whatnot. I figured the party would be in full swing by the time I got there, but lo! when I walk in about 7:30, there was not one person there for the party. I asked the bartender and he said they had called the day before to tell them there would be a bunch of people coming, but that he had heard nothing since, and that no one had called again. I waited till about 7:45, then figured that the plans had changed, and since I don't have access to email at work, that I was out of the loop. I'd had my heart set on a couple of pints tho to celebrate CM's birthday, not to mention Friday, so I headed off to the Mill instead of staying at DH, cause I like the Mill much better. It's very quite there since the new owners took over, and things are very slow, but the atmosphere is wonderful, and I generally prefer quiet anyway. The owner also likes to play folk music, which is right up my ally. There were only a few people there, one being a fellow sitting down at the end of the bar. After a time he came up and sat next to me and proceeded to chat me up. He was friendly enough, and harmless, but good heavens he was incredibly opinionated and strange. He had the oddest ideas about everything, and he went out of his way to share them all with me. He really was a bit of a jerk in many ways, but still harmless. When the bartender and his g/f mentioned they are getting married and I asked where the honeymoon will be, the fellow next to me started shouting about how Cuba is full of communists and he had signed the thingy that made it illegal for Canadians to go there. He was a real piece of work. I had only intended to stay for one pint, possibly two, but in the midst of it all, these men started setting up in the corner and I saw there was to be live music, and that was it for me, I had to stay and hear what they were like. There was a bassist and two guitarists, and I instantly fell in love. They played very well, all songs that I love, mostly classic rock. I ignored the fellow next to me in favour of singing and clapping and generally making a show of myself, but not caring. I do so love good music. The fellow bought me a couple of pints without asking, but I was having no more of that because I did not want to encourage him, and when I turned to say I was going to buy him one, I noticed that he was gone. As was his glass. When I remarked to the bartender that I thought it was illegal to take beer outside, he went to check and came back saying the guy had skipped out without paying the last round! I couldn't believe he had done that, and told them I would of course pay for what I drank. I told them that the fellow mentioned he had a friend across the street, and maybe he went there and was planning to come back. They thought it unlikely, but as annoying and weird as the fellow was, he really didn't seem like he was the type to skip out. And sure enough about 45 min later he showed up again. The bartender was not impressed and tried to get him to acknowledge that he had acted unacceptably, but the fellow said something stupid and after he had paid and asked if he could buy another round, the bartender told him no. Personally I was very grateful when I heard that, because I didn't want anything to do with the fellow. I'm glad he came back to pay what he owed, tho, but was not too surprised. As I had told the bartender...he's an idiot, but he doesn't strike me as a criminal. After he'd gone the first time, I'd gotten to talking to a woman who came in and sat at the bar near me. Turns out she is a stripper, and we have a wonderful chat. She was frank about her job and, being such a curious thing, I took advantage because I'm always full of questions. The next thing I knew, it had to be after midnight, I was losing track, because by this time I had a good buzz going. Then the door opened and CM and her new hubby and some friends came strolling in! Turns out they'd gotten to the DH around 8pm, and we all had a laugh at how I had missed them only to meet up later. I hadn't realised they would spend the whole night in this neighbourhood. Either way she was drunk and I ended up drunk by the time closing came, and the night was wonderful fun and I hated to have to turn down the invitation to go back to their place and keep partying, on account of I had to get up for work at 6:30am, as I had been asked on my Friday shift if I wanted to come in Sat morning for a few hours to help us get caught up on the stock. The last time I partied with CM and the gang, we went back to her place after closing the pubs, and partied the sun up. I really did regret having to say no, I bet we would have done the same all over again. I wonder if the guys had jammed in the basement. More live music!

Anyhoo, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. I came home drunk and hyper, and listened to music and made a quick post here, then in time fell asleep. I got the times mixed up of when D would be picking me up, because K told me D would swing by at 7am, and it wasn't till I suddenly woke up at 6:45 that I realised that the shift started at 7, therefore D was probably waiting on me. Fortunately D is a very understanding man, I called his cell, and I know he was on his way thinking I had forgotten, but he came back and fetched me, and I was still rather inebriated, and chattered the whole ride to work (I remember little of it now) and when I got to work I was doing a lot of dancing and singing while I tasked. D was amused by it all, T commented he'd never seen me so happy. As the morning wore on I sobered up and realised I was hungry and tired, and even tho I stayed 3 hours later than they has asked me to, I didn't take them up on the offer to stay longer, because I was famished and fatigued and was dressed in civvies and not in any mood to deal with customers, so I came home and crashed. I didn't exercise, but I did try to go out for vegetables and bread, but the grocery was closed and there were herds of people everywhere. Turns out the Santa Claus parade was going on. It was snowing, the first time it had really snowed here this season, and it was cold. A perfect night, actually. Thankfully the Arab market doesn't bother itself for Santa Clause parades, and I was able to get some green pepper and bread there. Sunday was given over to exercising, football, laundry and some housecleaning. Even in light of Friday's excesses, and Saturday's laziness, I ended the week with 12 FPs. All in all, a very good weekend, I should think.

No comments: