It's Delle!

Someone on the WW boards mentioned they read my blog (news to me, I didn't think anybody stopped by here aside from my best friend!), so I thought I should put a little blurb about me. I made this journal so I can keep track of the things I'm doing and how I'm thinking and feeling as I journey along the road to getting thinner. It's not intended to be written to an audience, it is honestly something I am writing to myself, and I find it so helpful to be able to look back even 4 months ago and see what kinds of things I was experiencing...so many of our experiences in life slip through the cracks, and I want to remember as many of them as I can in relation to my weight loss; the good, the bad, and even the oh so ugly ones!

So many people say they've struggled with their weight for years, but this is not tue for me. I've been overweight from my earliest memories, and morbidly obese all of my adult life, but I was not the type to yo-yo diet, so in that sense I was not struggling. I don't know what my highest weight was because I didn't have a scale to weigh myself when I started getting set to lose weight. In the year before I started WW I started trying to eat less junk food and to get a little activity into my routine. When I started WW I was 288 lbs and wearing a size 22, and I know the year before I was wearing a size 26 (which was tight on me), so I'm guessing I was easily in the low 300 lb-range at my highest weight.

For the first year of my weight loss journey I was incredibly focussed and motivated. I was keeping my weight loss a secret from my family back home in Newfoundland, and my goal was to surprise them on my trip home in July. Needless to say it was quite a shock to a lot of people when I showed up over 100 lbs lighter without any warning!

Right now I am getting back on track after my trip back home. I wasn't following WW for a while due to comp issues, not to mention life issues, and I've gained back some of the weight I had lost. I got away from journalling, but I'm back at it again and am using it to help me get my focus back. I also like using it to keep track of my activity, although I've not had an organised execise regime for a few months now due to an injury. I'm getting back into my activity, however, and I will be updating all my numbers soon.

As I said, I don't write in this blog with an audience in mind, but if anyone had any questions or comments on anything here, please don't hesitate to post!

BTW, the name of my blog came from a comment my supervisor at work made one day when I was in the middle of a full-blown rant about something I had to do that was infuriating me. He interrupted me and said something to the tune of, "Don't worry about it you don't have to do it. And my goodness look at you! Where are you going, everytime I see you, you're smaller! It's crazy, you're the incredible shrinking woman!!" The moment was funny and unexpected and seemed to sum up my life right now, so I came home and re-titled my blog.

Now all I need is a cape...

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A sense of calm

Oops! I somehow managed to completely forget about posting last night. I blame it on the fact that my schedule was thrown completely off by having to close at the store for the first time in a month, it must be. Strange how I always got closing shifts before, and after only a month, closing seemed so incredibly alien to me. I think it has to do with getting used to being asleep at 9pm, and up and out the door before dawn, then suddenly only being a couple hours into my shift and having the sun go down on me. I was so disoriented my whole shift, feeling like I should be home in bed or something, it felt like 2 in the morning. Definitely not the best shift I've ever worked. Somehow I managed to be silly in light of it all tho; I defiitely had some interesting chats with customers. What I hated is that a 6-hour closing shift felt 4 hours longer than an 8-hour morning shift. Guess I'll just have to adjust as best I can. The only thing is, I got home at 10:30pm, and had to eat make an eat supper at a time I am now used to being asleep by. Posting never entered my head. Maybe I will have to do it before leaving for evening shifts.

I had a bit of an odd conversation with a new co-worker in the lunch room when I was on break. I have absolutely no recollection of how the conversation started, but we ended up having a discussion about gastric bypass. Oh, I remember, now, we were talking about how coworkers always eat at McDonalds and I said I don't but the couple times I have, I get the turkey breast sub because it is the most calorie friendly, and he warned me about counting calories and it went on from there. I tried to express my opinion that surgery should be the last chance situation, and he got really defensive. Turns out he has family members who have had the surgery, and he is adament about how their lives have changed for the better. He couldn't seem to get it that I wasn't knocking gastric bypass, just that I don't believe it should be taken lightly, because there are such risks with surgery. He kept arguing that there are more risks with being obese. It was a weird conversation, I don't know why he decided to hash it out with me. He seemed to be very weight conscious. He seemed a fine shape to me, but he talked about how he had to lose and get back in shape. I don't know if he was talking about gastric bypass and how awesome it is, because he thinks I am owefully obese and need intervention. I wondered in an idle way what his motivation was, without feeling the slightest insult or need to defend myself or explain anything. Maybe he is just talkative, it takes time to understand new coworkers. How strange knowing I've been there a year and two months.

I read something on the WW boards today I think it was, a woman had posted about how she had prepared so thoroughly for the new Body For Life challenge, and that she felt such a sense of calm before starting. Another WW member posted, commenting that that is how she felt when she started WW. It struck me that that is exactly how I felt when I started WW....very calm. Well, yes, there was a great deal of excitement about starting my journey and being on my way, but underneath it all was a great sense of calm, and surity. I knew it was going to work, and that I was going to do it. There was no doubt. Nothing but calm. Mm.

Earned 7 APs yesterday: 85 min brisk walking

Earned 18 APs today: 20 min low-intensity DDR, 60 min mod-intensity DDR, 85 min brisk walking, 60 min free weights

No comments: