It's Delle!

Someone on the WW boards mentioned they read my blog (news to me, I didn't think anybody stopped by here aside from my best friend!), so I thought I should put a little blurb about me. I made this journal so I can keep track of the things I'm doing and how I'm thinking and feeling as I journey along the road to getting thinner. It's not intended to be written to an audience, it is honestly something I am writing to myself, and I find it so helpful to be able to look back even 4 months ago and see what kinds of things I was experiencing...so many of our experiences in life slip through the cracks, and I want to remember as many of them as I can in relation to my weight loss; the good, the bad, and even the oh so ugly ones!

So many people say they've struggled with their weight for years, but this is not tue for me. I've been overweight from my earliest memories, and morbidly obese all of my adult life, but I was not the type to yo-yo diet, so in that sense I was not struggling. I don't know what my highest weight was because I didn't have a scale to weigh myself when I started getting set to lose weight. In the year before I started WW I started trying to eat less junk food and to get a little activity into my routine. When I started WW I was 288 lbs and wearing a size 22, and I know the year before I was wearing a size 26 (which was tight on me), so I'm guessing I was easily in the low 300 lb-range at my highest weight.

For the first year of my weight loss journey I was incredibly focussed and motivated. I was keeping my weight loss a secret from my family back home in Newfoundland, and my goal was to surprise them on my trip home in July. Needless to say it was quite a shock to a lot of people when I showed up over 100 lbs lighter without any warning!

Right now I am getting back on track after my trip back home. I wasn't following WW for a while due to comp issues, not to mention life issues, and I've gained back some of the weight I had lost. I got away from journalling, but I'm back at it again and am using it to help me get my focus back. I also like using it to keep track of my activity, although I've not had an organised execise regime for a few months now due to an injury. I'm getting back into my activity, however, and I will be updating all my numbers soon.

As I said, I don't write in this blog with an audience in mind, but if anyone had any questions or comments on anything here, please don't hesitate to post!

BTW, the name of my blog came from a comment my supervisor at work made one day when I was in the middle of a full-blown rant about something I had to do that was infuriating me. He interrupted me and said something to the tune of, "Don't worry about it you don't have to do it. And my goodness look at you! Where are you going, everytime I see you, you're smaller! It's crazy, you're the incredible shrinking woman!!" The moment was funny and unexpected and seemed to sum up my life right now, so I came home and re-titled my blog.

Now all I need is a cape...

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Catch-up

First, let the record show that I am looking god-damned FINE right now.

Recap: Sunday morning F called re: tentative plans we had made last week about possibly seeing a movie on Tuesday night. Since I am creeping up on my 50 lb milestone, I have been thinking about what I might do to celebrate (after a conversation with M). I had mentioned to F and D that we must do something fun, and suggested maybe a movie. We decided that Beowulf would be a good movie to see, and had thought we would go Tuesday night on cheap night. I knew I would probably not be at my 50 lb yet, but would be close enough seeing that it can be hard to get everyone free one night, and this Tuesday night F would not have class for some reason, so the timing was good. But on Sunday, F calls and tells me that she had been reading up on Beowulf and found out that it had been made for digital 3D and that we really should be watching the movie as it had been intended, and that we should go see the movie in an IMAX theater. Since that would involve going to the US, I was hesitant at first, and initially said no. However, after considering that the cost would still just me 12 bucks, and that this really would be a unique experience, as I have never been in IMAX or seen 3D, that I really should do it. Since L wanted to pick up Rock Band for XBox 360 that was going to be released at 12:01am Monday night/Tuesday morning, she said they were going to see the movie Monday evening, then hit the particular Best Buy that was having the midnight launch and pick up the game, as it is not releasing this side of the border until next month. So they picked me up and we had an enjoyable (albiet nerve-wracking!...N is definitely a T.O. driver!!!) drive to Sterling Heights. We got a little lost, as we didn't know the exact whereabouts of the theater, but eventually we got to the right place. We got there just as it was starting, but strangely the previews were showing upside down. Then they stopped. Then the lights came back up. Then an employee came in and told us they were having a problem with the projector, and to please be patient. Then they got it working and the movie started. Then my jaw hit the floor. I do not have the words to describe how incredible this experience was. I had never seen 3D, but apparently this digital 3D blows old 3D out of the water, according to L and N who had seen it before. The animation was awesome on its own, but paired with the 3D, it was absolutely stunning. I was constantly flinching and trying to dodge things that seemed like they were going to hit me. With the depth, you truly feel like you are a part of the movie. I have never imagined anything like this movie experience, you are just constantly amazed by it. The unfortunate thing is that they weren't able to fix the projector, and about 15-20 min before the end of the movie, the projector blew again, and they came in to tell us that they wouldn't be able to get the thing going again. The apologised a million times, and said they were giving everyone free passes. The four of us just sat there as everyone else left the theater. I think we were rather in denial. Finally we got up and went down to talk to the manager, and asked if we could have our money back instead, because we were from out-of-country, and were not planning to make the drive back anytime soon. The manager gave us our money back, and gave us the free passes anyway, and told us there is an AMC in Canada now, and that if we ever get up to Toronto, that we could use the pass then. We probably should have been furious at having gone all that way and get jipped for the ending, but the thing is, the movie experience was that incredible, that we were too exhilerated to be angry. Yes, there was disappointment for not knowing the ending, but we were thrilled with the experience and couldn't stop raving about it the whole way to the Best Buy. I would tell everyone and anyone that if they had a chance to see Beowulf in digital 3D, that they do it, even if they have to drive a distance, or not see the end of the movie...you would not regret it! After the movie we went so the boys could wait in line for Rock Band, and F and I spent some quality time chatting in the car out of the wind and cold, tho I did spend some time in the lineup, and comandeered N's IPod and perused his playlist of 10 billion songs and got to hear a fellow that sings like a toilet. F was in a good mood and I was hyper and the boys were cheerful and the whole night was such fun and I had a wonderful time. My 50 lb celebration extremely memorable and exciting, I am so happy with the night!

All right, the recap will have to end there, as I have to eat and get to bed. As it was I only got to write this because I had to wait to pick F up at school, and had a spare half hour to journal most of the draft earlier this afternoon. We visited an ill coworker tonight, and I'm running late. This whole week has been a bust, I've gotten no exercise in! Looks like the next three days will be jam packed with as much as I can fit in.

No comments: